top of my fb

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
metalman68
beginner
beginner

top of my fb

Post by metalman68 » April 13th, 2017, 2:23 pm

So my welder son is going to weld me up my smoker. I want a flat surface on top of my fb...which is 24"dia. and same as cc. I don't want expandable metal shelf as I will account for future maintenance on my fb and don't want the grating in the way to treat top of fb. So I want to make it flat with plate material welded in. Question is...should I have my son torch out a section on top of the fb to allow heat thru or just leave the fb intact (rounded) and just weld plate over it. Will that allow enough heat thru to heat beans/sauce etc. If we do cut it how big a section? I just want enough heat to cook/heat some stuff on but allow a big enough top to pull pans off direct heat and stay warm. Maybe drill a few holes in top of fb and add flat plate?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: top of my fb

Post by Rodcrafter » April 13th, 2017, 4:22 pm

Welcome to the crew! There are a few on here that do that. SafetyHarborRedNeck is one that comes to mind he cooks beans and stuff on it. Send him a PM if you want or wait and he will chime in soon.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » April 13th, 2017, 5:25 pm

:welcome: sounds like an awesome project, I would cut a section out of the FB & weld a flat piece on that's as wide as the throat, then you could extend that top piece into the CC about a ft to create a shadow plate(as I've just done on my build) this will give you the "hot plate" surface & the shadow plate will reduce any hot spot in the CC at the FB end. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » April 14th, 2017, 8:54 pm

:welcome:

If the fire box is not insulated, I would think that a flat plate welded on top would get plenty hot enough to cook on.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

metalman68
beginner
beginner

Post by metalman68 » April 14th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Not insulated but 3/8. I think I'm just going to cut out a 6" wide cut back to the cc and weld a 3/8 flat over it and close in the sides.

Nothing ventured nothing gained yea?

Return to “Standard Offsets”