Planning next build

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Bubba
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Smokin' Franks BBQ TEAM KCBS
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Planning next build

Post by Bubba » May 10th, 2011, 5:41 pm

I am planning on my next build being an off set smoker. I am thinking a 20 X 44 cook chamber and a square fire box. My plan is to build a square fire box on the right side and stack on the left side. After maybe overthinking it a bit, I think I am to make the stack come off the side of the cook chamber as opposed to the top. It would seem to me that the heat would hold a bit better in the chamber this way. Plan is to use 1/4" for cook chamber and 1/2" for the firebox. Steel? Cold rolled? Any input is always appreciated.

Image Image

rlmax02
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: JUST BUSTED BBQ

Re: Planning next build

Post by rlmax02 » May 10th, 2011, 7:22 pm

1/4 should do fine for both the box and the chamber. 1/2 gonna cost you a pretty penny not to mention the weight factor. Im excited to see it c ome together!

REMEMBER....WHEREVER YOU GO...THERE YOU ARE.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Re: Planning next build

Post by Tom_Heath » May 10th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Its always awesome to hear of a new build in the works.

My first question is.
Have you considered a reverse flow rig?

The only reason I ask is, a properly set-up reverse flow is very very easy to maintain temps in. Not that its impossible on a Lang style but it can have its challenges.
You generally have tuning plates in a Lang style so that you can regulate the hot spots.

With the reverse flow rigs, everything is welded in place and ready to go every time you fire it up.

As far as the steel thickness goes.

I think 1/4 is plenty for the cook chamber.
1/4 will work fine also for the firebox although 1/2 will give you much more mass helping to keep temps.

Personally unless you have this material on hand, I would not purchase it. If I was doing the buying I would go with a 1/4 floor and 3/16 walls, insulated with mineral wool and a light gauge skin on the outside.

You will end up with much more heat retention along with alot less weight.

Will this be a trailer rig or a patio unit?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be able to offer the best advice I can.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “Standard Offsets”