Throat placement CC to FB and steel quality

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Newsmoke
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Throat placement CC to FB and steel quality

Post by Newsmoke » March 5th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all doing well!
I am currently working on a new smoker build and I have a French problem for you.

Due to regulation we are unable to build our own trailers in France.
I will be using a commercially build trailer and i won't be able to install the FB very low like on your trailers, also because of the risk of scraping on speed bumps ( we use them a lot).

As such it makes the smoker higher and is not great to use without tip toeing to open the CC door.

My question is, does the throat needs to be on the top part of the FB? Of course in respect to airflow it should.
I was thinking of this solution in order to have the CC lower and have it more accessible to me.

There is also the solution of making a FB longer with less height but I was wondering if throat placement could be modified if need be.

Regarding steel quality do you use usual mild steel for your smoker or stove quality steel (high heat)?

Thanks a lot for your help and advice.
Best regards

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Re: Throat placement CC to FB and steel quality

Post by dacolson » March 5th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Throat height matters because airflow matters. If you have a wall in front of your air at the top of your FB, you’ll slow down airflow. You will also get extra conduction through the flat surface into that end of the pit. Will it work, probably, but not optimal. Longer pits are also an option but too long and narrow will make fire management difficult.
Why not set your pit off center an stand on the trailer bed? You can keep your pit lower this way.
Most everyone is using mild steel for FB construction.

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 6th, 2021, 11:05 am

The joy of a custom firebox is that you can built it to your needs. Instead of making a square firebox, trim a few inches off the bottom and make it wider/longer instead. Another trick is to change the location of your pit on the trailer. Moving the firebox closer to the axle will decrease the effect of raising the tongue and having the back of the trailer bottom out. I have no idea what type of trailer you are looking at but many have cut off the last several feet of a trailer or inset the firebox into the deck.

You could also raise the trailer a inch or two by dropping the springs and putting larger diameter tires on it. Many options....no reason to let the speed bumps beat you!

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » March 6th, 2021, 2:39 pm

:yth:
Just keep in mind fire management is the key to good que. leave yourself some room in the fb for airflow below and around your logs.

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Return to “Standard Offsets”