150 gallon build, lots of questions

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Tipps
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Re: 150 gallon build, lots of questions

Post by Tipps » August 10th, 2018, 2:14 pm

IMG_3690.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tipps

Post by Tipps » August 10th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Something I did different on this build from what little experience i have had in the past.

In the past, I've used heat and clamped the flanges to the door and tacked them on and they've worked ok. This time, due to some irregularity with using a tank, after cutting and the door edge not perfect with the cook chamber edge in places, I wanted to do something different to get the best seal i could. I welded a ring on each end of a longer-thanp-needed flange piece, and used a ratchet strap to bend the shape and tacked as I went. I heated the flange a little with torch after it was tacked on to hopefully relieve some of the tension. I was going to use a gasket, but the flanges are pretty tight to the cook chamber now so I will just use the high temp RTV or whatever it's called to further seal it.
On the firebox end, due to leg placement, I had to tack one end of the flange below the door line, and weld a ring on the opposite leg and the end of the flange to make the ratchet strap method work. And it did, pretty good. The top and bottom flanges were easier, I just positioned by hand with the door closed and started tacking and they tightened down as I went from one end to the other. Maybe this will help somebody, I'm not sure.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 10th, 2018, 5:04 pm

We all learn from each other....thanks for sharing.

Return to “Standard Offsets”