Paper towel rack

Any Accessories you can think of that you can build for your smoker or for cooking on your smoker.
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Paper towel rack

Post by Dirtytires » October 5th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Let’s be honest: you can’t smoke anything on a smoker from start to finish without using a paper towel. I know I sure can’t!

I need to put a paper towel dispenser on my smoker and am looking for everyone’s ideas and pictures of what you did. I want to make a horizontal dispenser for normal household paper towels and am thinking of fabricating it to mount below my work shelf. I built one on a cook table several years ago and find that the paper towels just unroll with even a small wind. I solved the unrolling with a bungee cord but it’s a real pain to use. I just know this group can come up with a better idea.

So, what are you using for a dispenser, how do you keep the towels from unrolling by themselves and what would you do different on your next design. As always, add a good picture and measurements if you got em!

Thanks....

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Paper towel rack

Post by ajfoxy » October 6th, 2018, 1:59 am

You have to have a swing arm with a roller on top of the roll. Sort of like a commercial roller towel dispenser. This stops the roll of unrolling easily. Then you have to have a sharp mechanism to cut said paper off at the length you want. That is where it gets interesting as sometimes if you tug too hard, even with the roller on top it can still unroll more than what you want if the cutter is not sharp.

I took the easy way out and at an auction purhcased a brand new commercial roller towel dispenser with a box of spare rolls. Works like a treat and it is somewhat water resistant as well.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 6th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Most household towels here are perforated every 8-10 inches so no cutter is needed.

Great idea going commercial grade but I’m hoping to make something to match the smoker. Weatherproof is not an issue as I roll mine in the shop between smokes.

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » October 6th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I too will be putting a roll on my smoker somewhere. My barber has a pretty cool towel dispenser that puts the roll inside a drawer that just fits the roll, he slips the towel out the top of the drawer and pulls and tears it off leaving the tail of the next one exposed. I believe the roll is just laying in the drawer. I want something similar but I also want a foil roll to go with it.

I'm thinking of a tray that the roll hangs in with a slot at the bottom front edge. Paper and foil go out the bottom and a cutter edge is extending down a bit in front of it. Pull down and then pull up to cut it off.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » October 6th, 2018, 8:05 pm

I agree it must have a roll holder. I put them on mine. I use a weight and a plastic coated cable as an light touch on the roll so the wind doesn’t unroll them. It works great and doesn’t take any space. ImageImageImage

The last picture shows how it changed over time.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 7th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Is that the cable hanging down in the center of the roll (in the second picture)? Looks like it terminates just below centerline?

That is exactly what I am looking for....simple and non complicated. Easy to grab and yet not going to have them unroll by themselves. I was thinking of a hinged drop bar but concerned with where it should pivot to be most effective. I really like the cable tho as it will self-adjust to the roll as it gets smaller and yet won’t be in the way.

Thanks for sharing.

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » October 7th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Simple always wins!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » October 20th, 2018, 3:14 pm

It is a cable with a shackle on the end, it attaches above the rod that holds the roll then the shackle hangs about 4” below the roll so gravity holds the towels.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » October 28th, 2018, 5:59 pm

I'm going to have to cobble something like that together for mine....I'll have to find something interesting to hang off the cable though.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 28th, 2018, 11:25 pm

This is what I ended up with. The cable is just long enough to fit down on the empty roll and not get in the way of grabbing the last sheet. Works perfect to keep the wind from unrolling. The threaded rod has a nylon nut on one side so I only have to worry about keeping one side tight.
68D1C68D-48EA-430B-93B3-425487A4371C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » October 28th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Nice. :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » October 29th, 2018, 12:11 am

I'm thinking of a hinged hasp positioned to lay like that cable. I will have to dig in the scrap pile and see what pops up first.

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » November 8th, 2018, 2:55 pm

The wife picked me up one of these...it has a ratchet that won't let in unroll......I got it mounted and it works perfectly. I will upload a photo once I can get it to load.
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/ ... 6LEALw_wcB

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » November 9th, 2018, 1:14 am

Looks nice and hope it works...my problem was the wind unwrapped the towels. The roll never un-rolled as the towels just flipped around and I would end up with 2-4 towel lengths flapping i the wind.

Great mounting location....looks really good there.

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » November 9th, 2018, 2:05 am

It was windy where I cooked today and the roll holder worked flawlessly. Easy to pull and get a towel and it never even budged with the wind.

Side note....I was watching my Thermpro when I lit the smoker up while I was working and a big gust of wind would swirl over the building and the temps would drop 2 degrees as it back flowed for a second...once it got over 150* it quit doing it and had enough heat to draft through those gusts.

Chromeski
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Chromeski » November 9th, 2018, 2:53 am

Windy as heck down here south of you too. I hate wind

Return to “Smoker Accessories”