Vertical vs offset RF

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Vertical vs offset RF

Post by Boston » July 6th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Talking to my dad this morning, he mentioned that he is planning on going with a vertical RF for his next smoker due to the smaller footprint with larger smoking space. That got me wondering about the pros and cons of an offset RF vs a vertical RF.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Re: Vertical vs offset RF

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 6th, 2019, 1:55 pm

I have a off set reverse flow and I never use it since I have my mini gravity feed. The ultimate deciding factor for me is ease of use and the mini with a controller wins every single time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Boston » July 6th, 2019, 5:30 pm

pr0wlunwoof wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 1:55 pm
I have a off set reverse flow and I never use it since I have my mini gravity feed. The ultimate deciding factor for me is ease of use and the mini with a controller wins every single time.

Yeah ease of use definitely is a nice factor to take into account. GF with a controller really does seem like a nice easy to use setup.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 6th, 2019, 7:05 pm

About the only thing I cant do on my mini that I can do on my offset is half a hog. I also put a gas burner down the center of the reverse flow so it serves as a gas grill when needed. Without a doubt the reverse flow was easier and cheaper to build. The RF is also mounted on a trailer so transport is super easy.

Really comes down to how you want to use it and how you want to control it. Also keep in mind one can never have too many smokers.

Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Boston » July 6th, 2019, 8:06 pm

pr0wlunwoof wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 7:05 pm
About the only thing I cant do on my mini that I can do on my offset is half a hog. I also put a gas burner down the center of the reverse flow so it serves as a gas grill when needed. Without a doubt the reverse flow was easier and cheaper to build. The RF is also mounted on a trailer so transport is super easy.

Really comes down to how you want to use it and how you want to control it. Also keep in mind one can never have too many smokers.

My build is going to be a trailer mounted unit that I plan to do as offset RF. But the GF is definitely intriguing to me, so I might have to build that one next, after the trainer mounted setup. you are spot on with never having too many smokers. :kewl:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 7th, 2019, 10:46 am

A gravity feed is definately easier to use but I’m convinced that you just cannot beat the taste of a wood fired reverse flow smoker.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 7th, 2019, 11:14 am

Dirtytires wrote:A gravity feed is definately easier to use but I’m convinced that you just cannot beat the taste of a wood fired reverse flow smoker.
I think the consistency of a GF far outways the possibility of better flavor on a RF.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 7th, 2019, 10:17 pm

pr0wlunwoof wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 11:14 am
Dirtytires wrote:A gravity feed is definately easier to use but I’m convinced that you just cannot beat the taste of a wood fired reverse flow smoker.
I think the consistency of a GF far outways the possibility of better flavor on a RF.

We will agree to disagree. But that difference in viewpoints is what makes this site a great source of information and experience.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”