How to build/seal the door?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Enrgizerbunny
beginner
beginner

How to build/seal the door?

Post by Enrgizerbunny » June 2nd, 2019, 6:34 pm

I am pretty decided on building a smoker. 36x24x24 cook chamber, 16x24x18 fire box. I will have the loading door on the front (16x18) face of the fire box and the vents on the 24x18 side. I am going to order pieces already cut to size ie 24x36(4), 24x24(2), 16x18(2),16x24(2),18x24(2).

Should I order extra steel for the doors or can I cut out doors and use the cut out and get a good seal? I have a gasoline cut off saw, grinder, access to a torch, and 200amp stick welder. Will likely be 1/4" or 3/8" plate. I'll be using angle to build the frame, etc.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: How to build/seal the door?

Post by mp4 » June 2nd, 2019, 7:38 pm

You will be able to use the cutouts. Its common on most builds to do so.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 2nd, 2019, 7:55 pm

Once you cut out the hole for the door, most people reuse the cut-out piece to use as the door. The easiest way is to use 2 inch wide flat bar (most use same thickness as the door material but doesn’t need to be) to weld around the piece to make a flange. The gasket goes under this flange and seals it against the face of the firebox. A well designed latch of some sort will keep the door snug.

If you are having your pieces cut anyway, many shops can easily make the door cut for you for just a few dollars more.

Enrgizerbunny
beginner
beginner

Post by Enrgizerbunny » June 4th, 2019, 11:48 am

Dirtytires wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 7:55 pm
Once you cut out the hole for the door, most people reuse the cut-out piece to use as the door. The easiest way is to use 2 inch wide flat bar (most use same thickness as the door material but doesn’t need to be) to weld around the piece to make a flange. The gasket goes under this flange and seals it against the face of the firebox. A well designed latch of some sort will keep the door snug.

If you are having your pieces cut anyway, many shops can easily make the door cut for you for just a few dollars more.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Do you guys use commercial hinges or make your own?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 4th, 2019, 10:49 pm

I’ve always used bullet hinges. I like that you can make your doors removable (or permanent) depending on which direction you mount them. I use the greasable ones so they don’t rust but that is probably overkill.

Best part is they are reasonable priced and look great.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”