Mack Build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
dgrimm
beginner
beginner

Mack Build

Post by dgrimm » April 10th, 2019, 8:51 pm

In the process of sourcing metal for build. Been reading a lot on the forums, and 1 guy that built a Mack wishes he had used 3/8" plate for firebox inner plates. Any thoughts .... cost and weight are not an issue for me. Thanks in Advance

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Mack Build

Post by Dirtytires » April 10th, 2019, 9:04 pm

The firebox always takes the most abuse. Between the heat cycles and the moisture trapping ash that causes the rust, thicker is always better. With that said, take into consideration how you plan to use it. If it were for a restaurant and going to be fired 365 days a year, I’d go even thicker. For a backyard pit I’m going to use a couple times a month, 0.25 is more than adequate.

As alluded to, keep it out of the rain, keep the firebox clean-of ash between uses and keep your temps reasonable (under 275-300) and even 0.125 sheet will hold up a lifetime.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » April 16th, 2019, 2:44 am

I think 1/4 inch is adequate, but the only reason to not use thicker is cost, weight and difficulty in working with the heavy steel. If none of those are an issue go as big as you wish....
You could have the world's first 3/4 inch mack. Gonna need a triple axle trailer.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » April 19th, 2019, 3:15 pm

I know it's been a while since I have said anything about heavy steel. That being said I believe in using heavy stuff, but I have to be ok with the fact it takes longer to get to temp and really become constant hot. But after that she is so nice because recovery is almost instant.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”