Firebox Sizing For Rectangular Cookers

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
BigJake

Firebox Sizing For Rectangular Cookers

Post by BigJake » April 10th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Heys guys, New here and look to build my first reverse flow cooker.

I am wanting to build a rectangular cabinet style cooker and wanted to know if I should include the area/volume below the baffle plate in my calculations for sizing the firebox.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Firebox Sizing For Rectangular Cookers

Post by Big T » April 10th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Welcome aboard and :yth: If your cook chamber is 24x24x60 then that's the volume that you enter for your cook chamber.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » April 12th, 2019, 7:08 am

Thanks guys. Looking at cookers built by people that just build cookers they appear to not be as big as the calculator calls for. How are they getting using a smaller box?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 12th, 2019, 9:56 am

Pictures can be deceptive...only way to be sure they are too small is to measure. Also, Steel is expensive. Some choose to make smaller to lower price point. And lastly, some builders choose to do different sizes or shapes because that is “what they have available” or it fits the “look” they are going for.

With that said, the joy of a custom smoker is that the builder gets to decide all the materials and dimensions. Some designs work well and some and a chore to cook with. The problem is a lot of work goes into the build before you get to test it.

I can attest that the pit calculator on this site will give you a very easy to use and efficient pit if you follow it.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » April 12th, 2019, 10:25 am

:yth:

I built a very odd and unique double reverse flow smoker and stuck to the calculators and everything worked out very well. No matter what size and shape you build stick with the numbers and you can't go wrong.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”