Insulated Firebox

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
bstockton21

Insulated Firebox

Post by bstockton21 » March 23rd, 2019, 7:11 am

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on my reverse flow offset for almost a year now. I pick it up off an on when I have time. I’m getting closer to finalizing some build decisions and need some help.

My cook chamber is 24” diameter 36” long. I planned my firebox to be 18x18x18 which put me in the 109% range according to the pit calculator. I want to insulate the fire box and neglected to factor that into the cuts of my inner skin.

Now I left with a decision to either do the firebox door as planned and shorten my depth by 1” or more, insulate the door but have it seal to the outside instead of seating on the inside like I see most, or not insulating the door at all which I do see on many other smokers.

Anyone have any experience to share on this. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Insulated Firebox

Post by towtruck » March 23rd, 2019, 9:51 am

I would get me some heavy angle iron to use as a spacer and make the box longer.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 23rd, 2019, 11:43 am

Insulating helps to keep the temps more even and allows a little better efficient fuel use as heat loss is decreased. Any of the above options would be ok tho backing into your firebox would be my last choice. You are perfect at the 110% range. Also a consideration is log legnth. Would be a shame to have to recut logs to get them to fit.

Uninsulated door is fine...especially if yourvents are in the door.

With that said, thedoor isthe easiest part to bump into while cooking. I insulated mine and have saved many hand burns over the years.

bstockton21

Post by bstockton21 » March 29th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Thanks for the advise guys, working on it this weekend and hope to make some good progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”