BP location

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
smokincookie
beginner
beginner

BP location

Postby smokincookie » October 12th, 2017, 9:54 pm

I’m really new and about to set out on the journey of my own build. I have a 120 gal propane tank my plans are to use only about 48 - 50” of it and to make it portable to the extent of using it at home and being able to load it on my utility trailer to use it at small functions. My first of many questions is how large or small of an opening do I leave at the opposite end from the FB? Thanks for all the help I see myself getting.

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: BP location

Postby Big T » October 12th, 2017, 11:10 pm

The BP opening is no larger than the throat (opening from FB to CC) but can be up to 25% smaller than the throat. I make it the same as the throat and I've never had any issues.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

smokincookie
beginner
beginner

Postby smokincookie » October 13th, 2017, 12:56 am

Thanks Big T! See I’m already getting smarter just by being here and listening! Thanks Man

smokincookie
beginner
beginner

Postby smokincookie » Yesterday, 8:16 am

Yet another question strikes my mind. When I strap the CC door should I mount the hinges allowing for the seal and just work to the hinges and between them ? I don’t want to do this wrong and have messed up and wished I had done something different.

Big T
Expert
Expert

Postby Big T » Yesterday, 4:39 pm

You can strap the door and make sure the it doesn't warp before you weld the hinges on. That way you can straighten it if you need to before welding the hinges. You'll need to space the door half the thickness of the gasket that you plan to use so the door doesn't bind up and tear the gaskets off.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby Rodcrafter » Yesterday, 5:19 pm

There you go!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

smokincookie
beginner
beginner

Postby smokincookie » Yesterday, 9:14 pm

Thanks again Big T. I have been thinking how will the door open I have bullet hinges and if the top is strapped will it not open? I told y’all I was new at this.

Big T
Expert
Expert

Postby Big T » Yesterday, 9:48 pm

You can weld one tab on the bullet hinge to the strap and the other tab to the tank. You may have to put a spacer on the tank depending on how thick your strap is. I'll try to attach a link to a picture that should help you out, if it works.download/file.php?id=23071&mode=view

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”