DigiQ DX2

Discussion about all kinds of Mechanical and Electronic Smoker Controls
shipyardbecue
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

DigiQ DX2

Post by shipyardbecue » October 29th, 2012, 8:57 am

one of the biggest problems of my double barrel smoker is holding temp. it is a giant pain in the ass. I pretty much cannot leave it. if you close the door, it smothers the fire almost instantly. I am looking at getting something like the DIgiQ fan unit. anyone use something like this?

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Digi ... r%29-.html

thinking about putting two fans on the back of the bottom barrel.

thoughts?

hank

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: DigiQ DX2

Post by Rodcrafter » October 29th, 2012, 9:30 am

I don't have one of those fan units on my cooker. But I do think it will help with your cooker, the problem is the reduced air flow because the wat the heat/smoke moves through you pipes to the cc. The added farced air preasure will cause that to move more which will increase temps and save fuel. I've seen people get fair results just setting a small fan in front of their intake air supply vents. I've heard some folks say they don't help with RF but yours would be fine I would say.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

shipyardbecue

Post by shipyardbecue » October 29th, 2012, 10:28 am

thanks for the info. I have tried a little fan, but I like the idea of the feedback loop (geek stuff is cool!). my side box unit is a lot more efficient then this and I dont need anything on that. just check it every 2-3 hours! this one needs constant attention. the vents on the door dont do much. I basically have to open the door and shut the door constantly. if I leave it open, it will shoot up to 300-350 in seconds. if I close it, it goes to 150-160 in no time. I figure with the fan, it can do it's thing and keep me from messing with it all day long. I am not saying I want to set it and forget it cause half the fun is partaking in the cooking process, but this is just too finicky. I dont do ribs on due to the heat fluctuations. Butts come out fine, but ribs I have burned and overcook on this thing easily!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 29th, 2012, 2:59 pm

I agree you gotta fix it so you can smoke ribs. :headwall:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 29th, 2012, 6:43 pm

This is a poser...
Couple questions:

Is the door draft above the fire or below it - changes effectiveness some.

Can you find the correct spot where your door needs to be parked in the open position to make the temp kinda stable or at least a very slow building temp?

If so then measure the size of that door opening (3 sides) and add it to the draft opening you have in the door ... what is that total square inch number?

It looks like you should have enough stack there to draw the hat off your head - but as you say, it can't breathe cause the air just aint getting to the fire. I'm guessing around 8 to 10 square inches of draft would do it as a starting place... just going by hunch here.

Don't get me wrong - Guru's are great - I've got one - but it's nice to know where you need to be to "old school it" - partly because the guru is supposed to "find" that spot for you so you might as well know it exists first ... just sayin' :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » October 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm

I am with rick....
I would also say that the guru will work fine for your cooker. I would recommend the ball valve approach as well tho. If your bottom barrel is sealed well then it should almost mimic a drum with the right inlet air control. I would go to lowes and spend a few bucks on a 1.5" Ball valve, 3- 1.5" x 4" pipe nipples, and 2 1.5" pipe caps.
1 pipe nipple for the ball valve and 2 for the caps. then put them in the bottom barrel coming out the side of the barrel under the fire grate, and use them like a drum. put dampers on your stacks and you should be able to get some serious control. :beer:

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

alleyrat58
Administrator
Administrator
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » October 30th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Allow me to climb on my soapbox for a moment:

Okay now that I'm up here, I have to guru digi q 2 and I like it. If you're not getting up to temp with your natural draft the guru will produce less than spectacular results. In my experience, the guru helps stabilize the draft on a good fire, it doesn't make a bad fire good. I have four fans at 25 cfm each on my cooker, and it didn't make a lick of difference until I got my fire right.

My big problem was too much fuel in the firebox cooking out the natural air. Not even 100 cfm could help that, I had to learn to manage it all better then use the guru to help stabilize the fire I built and feed it regularly.

Okay, now I'm over that, Frank's advice is dead on. The guru is a great product and will provide great results with the right expectations. I would try running a half chimney of charcoal and a split or two of wood every half hour to 45 minutes and see if that solves part of your problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » October 30th, 2012, 8:22 pm

what rat said... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 31st, 2012, 7:39 am

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

shipyardbecue

Post by shipyardbecue » October 31st, 2012, 8:40 am

Rick wrote:This is a poser...
Couple questions:

Is the door draft above the fire or below it - changes effectiveness some.

Can you find the correct spot where your door needs to be parked in the open position to make the temp kinda stable or at least a very slow building temp?

If so then measure the size of that door opening (3 sides) and add it to the draft opening you have in the door ... what is that total square inch number?

It looks like you should have enough stack there to draw the hat off your head - but as you say, it can't breathe cause the air just aint getting to the fire. I'm guessing around 8 to 10 square inches of draft would do it as a starting place... just going by hunch here.

Don't get me wrong - Guru's are great - I've got one - but it's nice to know where you need to be to "old school it" - partly because the guru is supposed to "find" that spot for you so you might as well know it exists first ... just sayin' :D
the vent is pretty much even with the fire bricks in the bottom. I am actually torn on getting one of these because of the "old school" idea of doing it yourself (it was why I built this in the first place).

The way I cook on this is load it up with a bag of charcoal, let it cook down, and add wood. the way it is cooking now is if leave the door open, the wood stokes up and shoots the temp up. I usually have the door open about 2 inches but after 25-30 minute the wood goes out and I have to open the door again and get it stoking. I am thinking about increasing the amount of charcoal until I can get and hold 230-250 without any wood then let the wood smolder on the coals. the 55 gallon drums are thin and the heat dissipates quickly. I am going to add vents to the other side of the barrel and see if I can get a cross flow going. no doubt about it, that more air is needed!

thanks for the input!

han

shipyardbecue

Post by shipyardbecue » October 31st, 2012, 8:42 am

alleyrat58 wrote:Allow me to climb on my soapbox for a moment:

Okay now that I'm up here, I have to guru digi q 2 and I like it. If you're not getting up to temp with your natural draft the guru will produce less than spectacular results. In my experience, the guru helps stabilize the draft on a good fire, it doesn't make a bad fire good. I have four fans at 25 cfm each on my cooker, and it didn't make a lick of difference until I got my fire right.

My big problem was too much fuel in the firebox cooking out the natural air. Not even 100 cfm could help that, I had to learn to manage it all better then use the guru to help stabilize the fire I built and feed it regularly.

Okay, now I'm over that, Frank's advice is dead on. The guru is a great product and will provide great results with the right expectations. I would try running a half chimney of charcoal and a split or two of wood every half hour to 45 minutes and see if that solves part of your problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
thanks man! that is great info! the plan was to make a bad fire good!

shipyardbecue

Post by shipyardbecue » October 31st, 2012, 8:43 am

Frank_Cox wrote:I am with rick....
I would also say that the guru will work fine for your cooker. I would recommend the ball valve approach as well tho. If your bottom barrel is sealed well then it should almost mimic a drum with the right inlet air control. I would go to lowes and spend a few bucks on a 1.5" Ball valve, 3- 1.5" x 4" pipe nipples, and 2 1.5" pipe caps.
1 pipe nipple for the ball valve and 2 for the caps. then put them in the bottom barrel coming out the side of the barrel under the fire grate, and use them like a drum. put dampers on your stacks and you should be able to get some serious control. :beer:
thanks!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 3rd, 2012, 8:08 am

I would say that the air vent on the other end will make a huge difference for you. I can see by the amount of fuel your useing that the air intake limited to the one end, is the problem for sure. IMHO

shipyardbecue

Post by shipyardbecue » November 4th, 2012, 5:42 pm

I added a bunch of wholes today for air flow. it worked awesome! got it up to 300, shut the door and it hung at 250 pretty much the whole time. all I had to do is adjust my dampers and add a log every few hours! cooked like a champ now! very happy I didnt spend $350 on the digiQ! did ribs, chicken, and a shoulder tonight!

thanks for all the advice on this!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » November 4th, 2012, 6:09 pm

awesome! are you going to add any dampers or anything to control the air?

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 4th, 2012, 6:15 pm

:yth:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

shipyardbecue

Post by shipyardbecue » November 4th, 2012, 6:24 pm

yeah
Frank_Cox wrote:awesome! are you going to add any dampers or anything to control the air?
yeah, there are dampers between the top and the bottom now. they were enough to control it today, but I need to put some on the exhaust as well. also gonna cut out little circles and screw them over the holes I drilled today so I can close off everything if need be...

compared to how it was cooking, it's 100% better!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 4th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Please always have a way to completely choke off the firebox and stack in case of a runaway - It's a safety thing ... :D

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 4th, 2012, 7:55 pm

:yth:
That is a good suggestion Rick!

Return to “Smoker Controls. Mechanical and electronic”